The Lurking Season by Kristopher Rufty

The Lurking Season - Kristopher Rufty

I received a copy of The Lurking Season from the publisher in return for an honest review.

After starting this book I was informed that this story follows on from a previous book, The Lurkers, which I have not read. I dithered on whether I should read the first one before reading any further but I decided that as I had already started, to just go ahead and continue reading. Now that I'm finished I think perhaps I should have read the first one before reading any further.

I enjoyed the book but at the same time I didn't enjoy it. The plot was pretty basic and I didn't feel there was much detail to it, perhaps that's because I haven't read the first book and that covers a lot of what I felt was missing here, I don't know. A lot of the background to the characters was hinted at but not enough for me to connect to them. As far as I can tell the characters in this book are mostly new characters to the story so I didn't miss any more detailed background to them from not reading the first book. I found I wasn't too bothered who survived and who didn't and the dialogue and character interaction didn't draw to me to any of them either.

Despite the problems I had connecting, I still wanted to keep reading and finish the book as I wanted to know how it would all end. I have to admit though I had trouble at times taking the lurkers seriously. Some of the descriptions and scenes made me picture the gremlins and I found the scenes quite humorous as a result, but that's just me. The book does have a few disturbing topics in it however, rape, cannibalism and scenes of violence are all in the story, so it may not be for everyone.

Reviews also posted to my blog: Scarlet's Web