8% done with Three Moments of an Explosion: Stories by China Miéville

Three Moments of an Explosion: Stories - China Miéville

You know that feeling you get when you come across something, and despite the fact that it's not fun or pleasant to observe, and you know you're going to regret watching because you'll never be able to wipe the images from your mind, images that will haunt you every time you close your eyes, yet you can't seem to look away? I kinda feel like that about this book.

1 - Three Moments of an Explosion: Erm, what? That was weird. Reading that was like what I would imagine having a bad acid trip would feel like. This was confusing to read, totally made no sense at all and had odd comma placements. How confusing you ask?

"The demolition is sponsored by a burger company. Everyone is used, now, to rotvertising, the spelling of brand names and the reproduction of hip product logos in the mottle and decay of subtly gene-tweaked decomposition - Apple paying for the breakdown of apples, the bitten-fruit sigil becoming visible on mouldy cores. Explosion marketing is new. Stuff the right nanos into squibs and missiles so the blasts of war machines inscribe BAE and Raytheon's names in fire on the sky above the cities those companies ignite."

2 - Polynia: Not really a fan of this story either, there were a few things that irritated me about it.

- We have a women in a black jilbaab, for no other reason than to show she's not

white.

- We have Portuguese cafes and an Islamic bookshop, why even point this out

instead of just cafe and bookshop.

- And again more weird comma placements and wording: "We ran full pelt all the

way to the West London Crematorium. As if they'd let us in to the grounds,

normally, but they didn't care: everyone was pushing through the gates

because the mass was right overhead."

- I feel there is lots of useless information thrown in that didn't add to the story

at all.

- The whole concept is a bit daft and the writing is as choppy as the first story.

3 - The Condition of New Death: Yep, not getting any better. Another weird, confusing and choppy read.

Giving it one more story...