When is the right time?

I have a 16 year old little mongrel who seems to be losing the plot somewhat, she wanders the house in circles like she doesn't know where she is or what she is doing at times. Over the past three days she has started crying and whining, not from pain as she doesn't seem to be in any pain at all, but more like she's looking for someone, or she's been left alone, or is crying for her dinner while it's sat cooling if that makes sense. She's also started peeing on the floor instead of asking out, she's not lost control of her bladder as she can hold it, she just chooses not to, not the most pleasant habit but as frustrating as it is she's old and I can clean it up. My husband is getting annoyed by it all as last night she whined on and off all night, he moans about it but that's all it is, he loves her to bits and is struggling with the decision same as myself. Outside of this behaviour she seems to be quite happy and especially chirpy at dinner time.

I am really struggling, I know she's old and there is a point where her quality of life is more important than us wanting to keep a hold of her. I just don't know at what point to make that decision. I have watched her wander the house and listened to her whining over the past three days and she seems lost but then a little while later she is right as rain and the cycle repeats. I just wish I knew what was going through her head at those times to help me know when the right time is for her rather than for myself.