Review: Desolation by Kristopher Rufty

Desolation - Kristopher Rufty

I received a free copy of Desolation by Kristopher Rufty from Erin at Oh, for the Hook of a Book in return for an honest review and as part of the Hook of a Book Desolation blog tour of which my blog Scarlet's Web is taking part.

I'm generally not a fan of home invasion story lines, I have read so many that I have become bored with them. Most seem to merge into each other creating a been there read it already feel but I was completely drawn into this one right from the start. The chilling atmosphere and descriptive scenes really captured my attention, I could picture everything so clearly.

I initially picked up Desolation with the intention of reading a chapter or two before sleeping but ended up reading it in one sitting. It's a perfect mixed bag of suspense, tension, horror and chilling emotional scenes that will keep you turning the pages eager to know what happens next.

There are twists a plenty to be found here and some grisly goings on that will satisfy many a horror lover. But, at the same time it's a heartbreaking and emotional tale of revenge and loss and the two intertwine nicely to induce not only fear and anticipation but also heartbreak and sympathy for the characters within the story. It's quite a roller-coaster of a ride. One minute you're grabbing onto the rails dreading what's round the corner, the next you're reaching for the hanky and full of remorse for disliking the characters previously.

Definitely one I would recommend.

Reviews also posted to my blog: Scarlet's Web