Review: They Rise: A Deep Sea Thriller by Hunter Shea

They Rise: A Deep Sea Thriller - Hunter Shea

I received a free copy of They Rise : A Deep Sea Thriller from Erin at Oh, for the Hook of a Book in return for an honest review and as part of the Hook of a Book They Rise blog tour of which my blog Scarlet's Web is taking part.

They Rise was my first read of 2016 and I knew even before finishing that it was going to be one for my Favourites of 2016 shelf. I couldn't put this book down - it was terrifying, it was engrossing, it was fascinating and I was "hooked" (see what I did there!). I loved everything about it.

They Rise is one of those books where I find myself struggling to really do the book justice and to express how much I enjoyed it. I think what really got to me, aside from the story itself, was the plausibility of it. The sea can be a scary force to be reckoned with on its own but throw in the horrors found in this book and you have a whole different level of scary. A "There's not a chance in hell that I would dip my toe in there, even if you paid me!" kind of scary. The whole time I was reading I found myself thinking that this could really happen, perhaps not to this extreme but something similar, which is a very scary thought that added so much more to the story.

They Rise creates an atmosphere full of fear, tension, and anticipation that along with its breathtaking pace will have you turning the pages desperate to know what comes next. But at the same time, because the characters are so believable and their fear so easy to relate to, you don't want to know what happens next because you are so wrapped up in them and their experiences that you don't want anything bad to happen to them.

On finishing this book I immediately told my daughter how good it was and that she should give it a read, she's on the same page as me, so to speak. Definitely one we would both recommend and an easy 5 stars.

Reviews also posted to my blog: Scarlet's Web