100% done with Into the Dim by Janet B. Taylor

Into the Dim - Janet B. Taylor

Review to come but I can't hold my frustration in so rant incoming!

As much as I enjoyed the story the Scots dialect got me more and more annoyed the further I read.  You don't want to know how many pages of highlights I have marked!

Authors if you are going to set your story in another country, using a dialect you are not familiar with, please do proper research. Ask someone who lives there and uses the dialect for advice or find a beta reader who uses it. The Scots in this book is awful, it's like a cross between Outlander (exaggerated and outdated), Rab C Nesbitt, gibberish and English slang.

Apparently being Scottish means we either talk like yoda:   "It's happy we are to finally have you here." "But I'm knowing one thing for certain."  "And it's pleased we are to have you here."  Or use the word bloody all the time in our conversations. And don't even get me started on the "Cheese an' crackers!" or "How in the name of Mary and Bride.." and "Hill of beans." Don't know where the heck the author found those, never heard them used once here. In the name of the wee man, yes, but in the name of Mary and bride?

Add to that the use of pure: pure sorry, pure furious, pure tired, pure unusual. The only Scot you'll hear saying pure anything are wee neds from Glasgow. And baked beans for breakfast. It's the norm? Rarely with an occasional full Scots breakfast fry up and certainly not with a fried egg and jam piece. Boke! We have the same as everyone else, you know cereal, toast, fruit and often porridge.

Then there is the use of "Okay" in the dialogue in the year 1145. Okay wasn't in use until 1840 and not well known and used commonly until the 1880's.

(Few Americanisms have been more successful than ok, which survived the political campaign of 1840 that fostered it, quickly lost its political significance, and went on to develop use as a verb, adverb, noun, and interjection. The expression was well known in England by the 1880s. - Dictionary.com)

I could go on and on but I'll save it for the review.