Just had to break up a fight on my doortsep

Just had to break up a fight going on right on my doorstep. The dogs started barking and I figured it was the postman so I went to the door and saw there was mail, grabbed it and started walking back up the stairs and then realised there was shouting going on outside. I looked out my stair window and some guy was yelling in a young girls face, it looked like he was squaring up to hit her. Without even thinking I flew back down the stairs and out the door, she looked so scared and relieved to see me and asked me to call the police. I got between them and told him to fuck off out my garden before I let the dogs at him. The poor girl was in her bare feet and had just ran out her house, her only thought to knock someone's door but she hadn't got as far as my door. Thank goodness I heard what was going on. After he left she wouldn't let me call the police so I walked her back up the road and made sure her house was empty before leaving her to go in and lock the door behind her. Left her my number in case he comes back, told her to call me anytime and I'd walk up with the dog, he won't be long in legging it when he sees the dog coming his way.

The adrenaline is wearing off now and I'm only just realising that he could have had a go at me when I got in-between them but all I could think at the time was If that was my daughter...