Review: Chasing Ghosts by Glenn Rolfe

Chasing Ghosts - Glenn Rolfe

I received a free copy of Chasing Ghosts from Erin at Oh, for the Hook of a Book in return for an honest review and as part of the Hook of a Book Chasing Ghost publicity blog tour in which my blog Scarlet's Web is taking part.

If you go down to the woods today...

Chasing Ghosts had me cringing at several points. There is one particular scene, which wasn't particularly gruesome, where just the simple visual description and my imagination was enough to give me the heebie jeebies. Despite the fact that there was plenty gory goings on before and after this one particular event, my mind kept going back to it. I just couldn't get it out of my head. In the whole scheme of things it was such a small event but it gave me the mother of all cringes.

Chasing Ghosts isn't a huge read, it's around 100 pages long but there is a lot happening in those pages. Because of this it's kind of a hard one to review without giving a lot away. It launches right into the action from the first page and continues at full throttle throughout. It certainly kept me on the edge of my seat.

There was a great predatory atmosphere going on. The anticipation of something being just around the corner but never quite sure just when, where or who was going to be next made it a very enjoyable read. There was a nice balance of detail and visuals with just enough given to allow you to picture the scene but at the time allowing the imagination to fill in the gaps, and boy was my imagination happy to oblige. I'll be steering clear of the woods for a while.

One thing that I did notice (it's not a big deal, it's just a personal irk - when I say irk what I really mean is it irritates the heck outta me lol) was the use of "could give a shit". Surely if you 'could' give a shit it means that you do give a shit to an extent, and as a result it is possible for you to give less of a shit than you do now. Whereas if you 'couldn't' give a shit (which is the right way, just saying!) then you give so little of a shit about something that it would be impossible for you to give less of a shit than you do now. Forgive me, I'm typing this explanation at 5am in the morning on only two hours sleep from the previous night and I think my brain just exploded! I really hope it's legible. Must remember to take out all the shits when posting to Amazon cause they give a lot of shits about the shit you put in your reviews. Ok I'll stop, lol. Like I said it's just a personal thing but get it right next time! :P

Reviews also posted to my blog: Scarlet's Web