Review: The Night Parade by Ronald Malfi

The Night Parade - Ronald Malfi

I received a free copy of The Night Parade from the publisher in return for an honest review.

I have had Ronald Malfi recommended to me several times and somehow I have never managed to get around to reading any of his work. Darn have I been missing out!

The Night Parade was not what I was expecting. I think I go into stories set around a virus with preconceptions, I feel very much been there, read that already but not this time. The writing style and the character building in this one drew me in right away. All preconceptions disappeared and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

This isn't an easy light read that you can just sit back and enjoy. The story has a heavy foreboding atmosphere that builds more and more as you read further. You're never quite sure what's ahead for the main characters, you know that whatever is coming can't be good but at the same time you are hoping for that small chance that things will end up ok. I found myself thinking ahead to all the possible outcomes, analyzing all the little details, trying to pick up on any clues that would prepare me for a happy or sad conclussion, while at the same time trying to stop myself from having a quick peek further down the page. I felt like I had to prepare myself because I was so invested in the characters.

The main characters are very well written and easy to relate to. You want them to succeed, to be safe, to get to safety and that happy ever after but there is so much happening and the action and danger just doesn't let up. You are kept on the edge of your seat, anxiously following their story, helpless and unable to help but at the same time eagerly looking forward to the next obstacle in their path. I read it in one sitting. I couldn't put it down, there was no safe place for me to leave the characters.

Definitely one I would recommend.

Reviews also posted to my blog: Scarlet's Web