Review: Wrathbone and Other Stories by Jason Parent

Wrathbone and Other Stories - Jason  Parent

Wrathbone sat on my mantel for a full month tempting me to read it, but I was determined to save it for Halloween night and I'm so glad that I did. I couldn't put it down and almost read it in one sitting, but instead, I saved the last story for the following day in order to make it last a little longer. I didn't want it to finish.

These are my kinda short stories! I find that many short stories read like they are incomplete or are a small part of something larger, but not so with Wrathbone. Each story felt complete and they were all so different both in style and subject matter.

Wrathbone - I loved the writing style of this one. I could feel the horror and madness building as the story progressed. Was it evil or madness? You'll have to read it to find out.

The Only Good Lawyer - I want to say this one was my favourite, but I loved all of them for different reasons. I do have a thing about stories with anything voodoo in them so this one hit all the right spots for me.

Dorian's Mirror - A modern take on The Portrait of Dorian Gray. Be careful what you wish for! I'm starting to sound like a broken record, yes, I loved this one too!

For the Birds - See, this right here makes me glad that I don't like birds! Poor Nev. I did have a good chuckle at this one, at Nev's expense of course.

Revenge is a Dish - This was my ultimate favourite from the collection, even though I loved them all this is the one that I found myself engrossed in the most. I think it's because the descriptions were so vivid and easily pictured while reading, and it went down a completely different route from what I was expecting.

This is how you write a short story collection! I can honestly say that each story was easily 5 star worthy on its own.

Wrathbone is not only going into my Best of 2016, but it's also the first short story collection ever to make it onto my favourites list.

Highly recommended!